Further Information


Choose Ouch because not all training is the same!

first safety training

Further Information

Fire and the Law

Most workplaces are now subject to legislation as detailed in the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1999 (as amended).

To comply with Health and Safety and Fire regulations you will need to do the following:

Carry out a fire risk assessment

If you have 5 or more employees the findings of this risk assessment will need to recorded and a written emergency plan produced. The risk assessment will help you to ascertain the chances of a fire occurring and the potential dangers involved. This risk assessment should be regularly monitored and reviewed. Ouch Training Team can offer training in Fire Risk Assessment to help you fully benefit from the process.

Provide and maintain Fire Safety

The minimum provision includes:

  • A means of detection and warning in case of fire
  • A means of escape
  • A means of fighting fire
  • Fire safety training

Nominate people to fire safety roles

Certain people should carry out specific duties as detailed by the emergency plan e.g. Fire Warden.

Inform employees

  • Employees should be consulted regarding the nominations of staff to carry out fire duties.
  • Employees should also be consulted about improvements to fire safety.

Emergency planning

  • You must consult other employers sharing the same premises about significant risks and the proposed methods to reduce these.
  • If you are not an employer but are in charge of premises that contain several workplaces, you have responsibility for ensuring that fire regulations are complied with
  • You must ensure that the emergency services are easily contactable by a convenient means

Provide employee information and training

Ouch Training Team can offer a range of fire training courses to help your organisation become a safer place and to comply with current legislation

As an employee you must comply with your employer to help make the workplace safe from fire and not behave in a way that would put you or others at risk.

Fire Certificate

Some organisations require a Fire Certificate, but this is not a substitute for a fire risk assessment, which still needs to be carried out.

You should have a fire certificate if your premises is or has within a:

  • hotel or boarding house where sleeping accommodation is provided for more than 6 people (guests or staff) or if there is some sleeping accommodation above the first floor or below the ground floor;
  • factory, office, shop or railway premises where more than 20 people are at work at any one time or if more than 10 people work elsewhere than on the ground floor;
  • factory where explosive or highly flammable materials are used or stored.

If a building contains two or more of these types of premises (which can be whole or part of the building) you should include the total number of people at work. You will need to contact your local fire authority if you think you need a Fire Certificate.

Course Pricing

Contact us for prices
Enquire about this course
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Course Dates

Open course dates

Contact us for in-house dates

Did You Know?

Pyrophilia is a relatively uncommon paraphilia in which the patient derives gratification from fire and fire-starting activity. It is distinguished from pyromania by the gratification being of a sexual nature.

Check out the rest of the courses we offer on the courses page